Friday, February 10, 2012

Running With Scissors


While I was packing for my trip to New Mexico this past Winter Break, I grabbed a few books I hadn't read off my bookshelf and hopped on the plane. When I boarded the plane and pulled out a random book, I found Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. 

Goodness. I went from laughter to shock in just about every chapter.

This memoir is a retelling of all the strange happenings Augusten Burroughs encounters in the house of Dr. Finch after his mother gives him up as she looses her mind. Drug use, pedophilia, bizarre psychology...everything it's there as young Augusten grows up. Seriously, some of the events seemed so unreal, but I had to remind myself that it is in fact a memoir. Chilling.

One of the cool things I just found out is that there's a movie of the book, written and directed by the ecentric Ryan Murphy. With big stars like Alec Baldwin, Evan Rachel Wood, Kristin Chenoweth, and Gwyneth Paltrow. Honestly, why haven't I seen this? Maybe because it was made in 2006. Anyways, it's now number one on my list of must watch.


Have you seen the movie or read the book?

Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment