Monday, January 16, 2012

Moisturize

It's winter and it's that time for skin to get just a little bit dryer. For those with already dry skin like me, you're probably going to want to take extra special care of yourself. So I've made three columns below that show what you should avoid, what I use, and what I would like to try.

                 What To Avoid              What I Use           What I Would Like To Try

Body Wash
Soft skin starts in the shower with body wash. You may love the smell of a body wash like Softsoap Pomegranate & Mango Body Wash, but if it dries you out like it does me, throw it out. Take care of your skin by using a body wash that acts more like a lotion like Dove's Go Fresh Burst Body Wash in Nectarine. It feels so much better on my skin. I'd also like to try Soap & Glory's Clean Girls Body Wash because I've heard such great reviews about this product of how it really keeps the moisture in.
Soap
You can't have a good shower routine with only body wash, that's why soap is also a main factor. I would avoid at all costs Irish Spring. I know it sounds magical and it's even green, but don't let that fool you. The soap just makes skin tight and painful. Use Dove Beauty Bars, I know I've already mentioned this product  before with the body wash, but it's the only drug store brand of soap I've used that doesn't hurt. If I really had the chance to splurge, I'd head off to Lush and fill my basket with all the fun soap I could want like Figs and Leaves Soap.
Moisturizer
I used to use Clean & Clear Morning Glow Moisturizer everyday in High School. But after awhile, I realized that despite the SPF 15 I was still getting sunburns even in Winter. The morning glow moisturizer was also too greasy and didn't exactly sink into my skin. It just sat on my skin. So I switched to Sephora Instant Moisturizer last year. This blends well into my skin and soothes my dry skin. I'd still like to find something else out there that keeps me moisturized all day long, so I'd like to try Philosophy's Hope In A Jar.


Lip Balm
First of all I always lose lip balm. So I'm lucky when I can find one around when I need it. Recently I was able to finish a whole tube of Carmax and am kind of proud of that. Now I don't know what to do with my life, it was kind of a life time goal to finish a whole tube of chapstick. Anyways, here's what I'd tell you to completely skip over with lip balm: the new Revlon Lip Butters. I'd heard so many great reviews about these, but they didn't do anything for me. I got the one in Peach Parfait and it has all these  sparkles in it that distract me. They also don't stay well in the packaging and smush. What I do use however is Burts Bees. It's tried and true and everyone loves them since they smell so good. Mine's in a cute red tint that doubles as a lipstick. And I'd love to try Sugar Rose Tinted Lip Treatment SPF 15 because it looks beautiful and has the SPF everyone should have in their lip balm!

Hope these suggestions leave your skin smooth and full of moisture!

Shannon

Edit: I was asked on Tumblr, "Any suggestions as to a good drugstore moisturizer that doesn’t dry out your face?"

I'm still on the search myself, but from what my mom says use Cetaphil (it's good, I've used it) and from what research says use L'Oreal Nutrissime Reactivating Moisturizer. Both are around $10 and worth a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment