Friday, August 24, 2012

Geocaching: Caches 1-2

My brother was the one that got me into Geocaching a few years ago, but the idea was all forgotten while away in Chestertown which is far from anything that might have a pulse. But recently, while I shoved all the fun and excitement of summer into one big end all in Maryland, I rediscovered the majesty of Geocaching.

Now you're either in the know and are nodding at the idea or like the vast majority probably wondering "what on Earth is she talking about this time?" I mean, geocaching is supposed to be a secret thing, but just like the first rule of fight club, I'm going to break the secret and tell you guys what you're missing.
Geocaching is a "a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Participants navigate to a specific set of GPS coordinates and then attempt to find the geocache (container) hidden at that location." Basically, you can either log on online or from your phone, look up your town, and see what geocaches are in your area and go out and search for them by answering riddles and looking for clues.



What Gerred and I did was choose places we wanted to visit for day trips like St. Michaels, MD and Great Falls, VA and look for the geocaches around those areas. We found about 3 caches to choose from for each place. All we did was plug in the coordinates and follow them to the location to find what sort of cache it was.


There are many different types of caches you can find, but we found a traditional (camoflogued) cache in St. Michaels and an Earth Cache (an educational quiz on the environment of the area) in Great Falls. Our Great Falls trip was even on National Geocaching Day so we got a pretty nifty souvenir for that.  Seriously the super sleuth in me was so happy to do this and now I can't wait to try to find some all over Ireland.


Here is a video on Geocaching in case you wanted to start your exploration. Do any of you guys Geocache?

Shannon

P.S. I just got Aileen (my flatmate) in on this while I was writing this and we are thinking about searching for some. We have our eye on one at the moment that we will be taking a look at soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment