Sunday, February 23, 2014

I'm Back

Hello, everyone, I'm back from a long blogging hiatus.

First off, why did I go on a hiatus? Blogging became a chore for me overtime instead of an outlet I enjoyed. But I've taken time to rethink what blogging means to me and I came to the conclusion that it is not about making silly posts I think I'm supposed to make because that's what "bloggers" do, but about living my life and sharing experiences with my readers. So what's happened in the 8 months I've been away? A lot.

Over the summer, I worked two jobs, a clumsy forgetful waitress at a rundown Irish restaurant and a chauffeur for a 15 year-old equestrian enthusiast. I now realize that I am never working in the restaurant industry again because of how many times I spilled beer on people. When I wasn't driving or waitressing, I was (kind of) working on my thesis. Actually, I spent most of my time lacing up my shoes and deciding I am a runner. And it paid off. I lost a lot of weight before coming back to school.

When I returned to school, I worked international orientation and have to say that was a wonderful decision. I gained a wonderful group of friends and it changed my view of Washington College entirely. I became more confident and outgoing and I'm proud of that. My senior year became exactly what I wanted college to be. With my friends I travelled to New York, Philadelphia, and explored as much of Maryland as possible.


Even though I was having fun with new friends, I was battling with the loss of a loved one and still am. My grandfather, Jesse Maness, was diagnosed with Melanoma in February 2013. I was home almost every weekend after coming back from Ireland because of the reverse culture shock and my need to spend time with my grandfather. I felt closer than I ever had to him. I listened to his stories and recorded his voice. I took photos and I enjoyed his presence. And on September 12, 2013 I was there with him when he passed. Not a day goes by where I don't think about this amazing, hard-working, caring man. He is truly loved and missed.

I brought my grades up my last semester, but had to drop my thesis due to the 5 course work load I thought would help me graduate early. Now I'm done with classes, but working on my thesis when I can in between Interning at the Global Education Office and working at the MPC. With the free time I have, I'm working on planning my wedding and focusing on my fitness (like I neglected last semester.)

That's where I've been and here I am now. I'm ready to share my honest life here any way I can.


 photo signature_zps424e0a05.jpg

4 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the other day how much I missed your blog and being your penpal! Hope you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! So sorry about your grandfather, but so glad you were able to spend so much time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Shannon!! Hope we can catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I am so sorry about your grandfather.

    ReplyDelete